Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What I’ve Learned After 28 Years on Earth

Another year older and none the wiser? Yeah, as aphorisms go, this one is probably true, but I really do believe that I’ve learned a few things over the years. And as I inch ever closer to the big 3-0, I feel that on my birthday I should share a little of my wisdom with you, dear reader.

I believe that if I can master the Los Angeles freeway system, then getting where I need to be in New Jersey should not be this hard.

I believe that a carefully-administered combination of the Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Time clip from Family Guy and chocolate-covered strawberries can almost always cheer me up.

I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days (Thanks Crash).

I believe that the price of a meal and the quality of that meal often have an inverse relationship. As long as whoever does the cooking loves what he or she is doing and there are fresh ingredients in the mix – you’re in for some tasty goodness.

I believe that even after all these years, The Simpsons remains my most quotable television show (and that Whacking Day, The Shinning and Lisa the Vegetarian are among my favorite episodes).

I believe that it’s OK to make decisions about people based on what they like just as much as what they are like.

I believe that by being the sole member of the Finer Things Club at my office I am doing my small part to save the planet.

I believe that nothing can or will ever truly replace black as the new black (and I believe that this could be used as evidence that I’ve spent too much time living near New York City).

I believe that I was meant to do West African dance… or at least my hips were.

I believe stellar travel opportunities do not necessarily require a plane ticket, but a full tank of gas always helps.

I believe that I can get all the news I need to survive from a skillful mix of NPR, the Daily Show and the Onion, with an occasional hit from the New York Times.com.

I believe that five hours spent watching Sex and the City can be considered a productive afternoon.

I believe that having a wig-themed birthday bar crawl was an excellent idea and ended up as one of my best birthday parties ever (all apologize to Skateland – home of my 7th birthday party).

I believe that writing a blog is both a blessing and a curse to one’s creativity.

3 comments:

mennu said...

Here here! Well spoken.

Your observations are sage. I couldn't find anything to disagree with...well...mabye the part about "Sex in the City."

Still...great post. Happy birthday.

SaraK said...

I believe that five hours spent watching Sex and the City can be considered a productive afternoon.
Totally agree on this one, hon :)
Have a fabulous birthday! Looking forward to celebrating together soon!

Roy said...

"I believe that writing a blog is both a blessing and a curse to one’s creativity."

True, but it can also be a blessing to keeping friends in other areas up to date on your life.

Miss yah, babe. Hope NJ/NYC is treating you good. Don't forget about those of us stuck under the Mason-Dixon. & Happy New Year.