Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm Super Duper - Thanks for Asking

Any day I can work a reference to Big Gay Al into this blog is a good day. On that note, here's some reflections on the impending insanity that will be streamed into our collective radios, televisions, newspapers and world wide webs starting tomorrow.

It's nearly 9 p.m. on the night before the primary and while I'm pretty sure I know who I'm voting for, I'm not entirely convinced it's the best option. This seemingly broad field of candidates has rapidly narrowed into only two choices per party within the span of 5 weeks. How does that revelation not disenfranchise people more than hanging chads?

Media saturation has gone around the bend and it's only February. The scary and dirty tactics have only just begun and the 24-hour news cycle simply makes it worse. Imagined exchange... News anchor: "We're all out of substantive coverage on important policy issues and Britney just hasn't done anything stupid this week. What are we gonna do? Producer: "Just do another story about how Hilary cried again!" If this sounds strangely like that Simpsons episode where Homer is tempted by Mindy the attractive nuclear engineer, then you spend too much time with me.

I'm very excited that the Democratic Party's designated nominee for president could be black, or a woman. I might actually witness something presidential and historic in my lifetime that I'm not totally embarassed by!

People of my generation do seem to be moving toward a greater sense of political awareness and involvement these days, which I guess is encouraging. Either that, or I'm just getting older and my generation is rapidly inching away from collegiate apathy and toward (gasp!) adult-like caring.

So there you have it - a random hodgepodge of my mixed emotions, interest and hopes as the Garden State plunges into the 2008 Primary. And while I have the floor - let me say that tomorrow I will also look forward to the Giants' triumphant journey through the Canyon of Heroes as the champions of Super Bowl XLII!!!

No comments: