Sunday, July 20, 2008

What I'm Reading, Watching, Doing - Redux

It's been a while since I've done one of these posts and since we're now in the throes of the summer heat, here's a little sampling of what's going on in the world and my life to hopefully cool you off.

WHAT I'M WATCHING... on the Internet
Yeah, I know it's been ALL over the place, but I can't resist the sheer happy stuff that comes with watching those "Where the Hell is Matt?" clips. You know, the ones with the really goofy white guy exhibiting some stunningly bad dance moves in front of various monuments, landscapes and famous sites around the world. My favorites feature him with other people, also dancing badly, and somehow actually give me hope in some form of humanity. Incredibly hokey as that is. If you want to know Matt's backstory - NPR did a piece a few weeks back. You can check that out here.

I've also been turning to those Flight of the Conchords clips proliferated on You Tube. Who knew New Zealanders could be so funny and yet so lousy with chicks? They provide my friend Andrew with an endless source of awesome Facebook status updates and they just make me giggle. Besides, where else can you hear a pickup line telling a woman that she's so beautiful she could be an air hostess from the 60s?

WHAT I'M not WATCHING... at the multiplex
Well, everyone else saw The Dark Knight this weekend while I was being a dutiful daughter and spending quality time with my mom. I was also scoring a mega-bargain at Banana Republic, but that's for another post. Yes, I've heard Heath Ledger (and his voice) are amazing. Yes, I know all you other girls have had a crush on Christian Bale since Newsies. Personally, I think he's a little too pretty and brooding, but I'll still see the movie. Who wants to be my date?

WHAT I'M READING...
Thanks to my local library, I'm reading two books right now - one is a compliation of short stories from young Jewish writers called Lost Tribe. The other is The Insiders Guide to Portland. I'm going there next month to see my best friend from college and I want to know the scoop on everything. P.S. I'm hoping Voodoo Doughnuts and Powell's Books live up to the hype!

WHAT I'M DOING...
Besides enjoying the aforementioned quality time with my mom and finally getting to see some friends this weekend, I'm keeping ridiculously busy. Last week, I started a homeownership class and while I have no intention of buying any time soon, it was really informative. If you live in Morris County, I highly recommend it. Next Sunday, I'm taking off to Boca (the land of old Jews) for a professional development conference. Good opportunity for some networking and for working my tan!

WHAT I'M THINKING...
OK, this wasn't in the title, but who cares, I'm in charge here. Recently, I've had some more time on my hands to take a step back and think about my life. Perspective, you might call it. Overall, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the general scheme of things. I might not have everything I want, but what I do have is kinda nice. In the next months I'm going to at least try tackle a few goals like polishing my Spanish skills and learning to bake better - plus I hope to spend some more time with my friends. All the summer travel (not to mention weddings!) has taken its toll on my friend cohesion and I'm looking forward to kickin it with my peeps in the coming weeks.

Well, I've pseudo-rhymed so I think it's time for me to sign off. Hope this somewhat random and rambling post has given you more than just a voyeuristic glimpse into my life... maybe it's even inspired you to make an oddly-endearing You Tube clip or to Netflix those zany Kiwis or to start planning your next vacation. Even if it just made you think about how you need to Netflix American Psycho again, enjoy it and whatever is left of your summer.

5 comments:

Josh said...

That Matt guy went to high school with my college roommate. Doesn't mean anything, just funny.

SaraK said...

Dark Knight totally lived up to all the hype. Heath Ledger was beyond awesome and I have a crush on Christian Bale. I never thought I would have liked it... I would love to see it again on IMAX, but no movies for 3 weeks now!

Anonymous said...

oh please.. nobody would give a fuck if that pansy didnt die. if he was still alive and banging that olsen twin he would be just another fucked up EMO hollywood posterboi.
please dont elevate this movie to overhypedness like enter the dragon and the crow just because of a dead actor.... Pweeze

Shtetl Fabulous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shtetl Fabulous said...

Hey Anonymous - I really try to keep this blog a happy place and not one where people angrily bash actors or anyone else for that matter.

Right now I don't prescreen comments because I trust the people who read my blog. Please don't make me have to rescind that policy.