Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Health Update

Luckily my grandmother is out of surgery and taking the first tenuous steps on the road to recovery. She is under heavy sedation for the next 48-72 hours, which my aunt contends is all the better so she can't complain. It was a little scary to see her hooked up to SO many tubes, drips, monitors and wires, but I know it's for the best.

They say that crisis can bring out the best or the worst in people and I really have to hand it to my family for doing well when the alert level goes up to orange or red. My aunt, who conveniently enough is a cardiologist, has been coordinating visit availability, playing interference with the doctors at New York Presbyterian, making jokes about the hospital's Shabbos elevator and even buying sandwiches from a Kosher deli this afternoon on her way into the City. Pretty good stuff (especially since she's not Jewish and I'm the only one who keeps Kosher!).

I also want to thank all my wonderful friends both near and far who have been SO incredibly supportive. Promise to get back to my regularly scheduled snarkiness in the next few days... somehow familial medical emergencies have a nasty way of encroaching on my witty reparte.

1 comment:

SaraK said...

Thank G-d. So glad to hear the update.